Thursday, August 14, 2014

Should I think about it?

"Mommy don't talk about it. It makes you ashamed of everything about our life here. Do what you told me to do. Every time it comes to your mind pray about it, but don't keep thinking about it. "
My 10 year-old daughter's words to me.
What does the Lord think about my reasoning? Should the killing of innocent people because of their faith disrupt my peace? Should I think about it? Should I put myself in their place and try to imagine their unimaginable suffering? What do you want me to do? "Nothing" does not seem like the answer, yet atrocities are happening every day. People abuse their own children in horrific ways. People rape and kill innocent women and children here in NJ. How can I ever feel at peace when I know others are being used so cruelly?
"What do you expect of me Lord? What is my job?"

I want it to be:

     And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.      1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

That just seems like a cop out though. 

    But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer. And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. Use hospitality one to another without grudging. As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.      1 Peter 4:7-11

I need to do something. Is praying enough? How much praying is enough? Shouldn't I be up all night beseaching the Lord for deliverance for these suffering brethren? Yet there is so much oppression on the earth that I should never sleep again.

"Lord have mercy on me in my weakness and give me strength to love and serve you with gladness and singleness of heart, loving others as I so selfishly love myself. Give me wisdom to know what that love looks like in action and the perseverance to follow through with the truth you will show me. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment