Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 1

My goal: Simplify my life

There is no shortage of advice on how to accomplish this elusive utopia; simplicity. There are entire magazines which purport to be devoted to this cause. Unfortunately making to-do lists, trying out new decluttering tips, and following advice on which storage containers to buy has done precious little to help me simplify my life. I have tried to schedule out our days minute by minute. I have attempted to effect five minute clean up sessions each time before I left a room. I have even purchased various boxes, shelving units, and other organizational tools (some of which I have actually used). I have been attracted by one helpful tip after another but my life is still pretty much the same chaotic whirlwind it was before I tried any of these things.

So what is the secret of simplicity? Is it less stuff? Is it sticking to a schedule? Is it in forcing myself to be more consistent or in letting more things go? How clean is clean enough? Where does parenting fit into all this? I am sure that I can't buy simplicity in a catalog, but will buying certain things actually make my life simpler? Or is less really more?

Simplicity. For me right now it means an environment in which we as a family can live and work efficiently. Or maybe it means living a life with inner calm no matter what the environment around me. OK ,so I can't decide what it means. What I do know is that I want to find out.
So for the next few days I am going to start with the material stuff that takes up so much of my time; laundry, shoes, food, dishes, craft supplies, dress-up clothes, plants, books, indoor toys, outdoor toys...the physical stuff of our stay-at-home life. I am going to evaluate our possessions and see how they effect our life. If they take more then they give, then they need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment